Banksia – The Marina, Culburra Beach
Banksia is a multi-storey house located on the dunes of Culburra beach
The design explores a response to the stunning ocean views to the south as in Major influence in the planning arrangement to accommodate a family in beachside living.
Banksia is an example of negotiating between multiple issues such as:
- Steep site over 4 levels in drop
- High bushfire rating of bal FZ (flame zone)
- its fantastic views to the east and optimal orientation to the north.
- Coastal erosion zone
- Vegative buffer
The Strategy for this project was to negate all these issues in a in a well bounded as a architectural outcome.
Other features of the design include:
- A sheltered courtyard is tucked away for those strong north easterly windy days.
- A mix of Materials such as battened compressed fibre cement, stone cladding and silver top ash hardwood as timber decking.
- Inside outside off form concrete bench with integrated sliding window
- interior timber veneers
The house expresses a simple yet intelligent coastal response to its steep site and surrounding environment.